Friday 27 February 2015

Malawian Spirit

The Malawian spirit. It is resilient and positive. I will illustrate, but first a disclaimer.

You probably know that when most missionaries move to a new culture, there is a "romance" period. For us, the time of year (rain, mud, and bugs), combined with certain events that occurred immediately after we arrived, denied us that infatuation. Many of you have read the blogs that I first wrote and you know what I'm saying. If I were transparently honest with you, I would tell you that I arrived in Malawi carrying within me the deepest wound of my life. The pain caused my soul to grow dark, combative and restless. That was a setup for difficulty.

Our first thoughts about the people and the culture were less than positive. We saw jealousy, envy, clutching, greed, refusing to let people climb out of their class, and more. It seemed they did not want us here.  We questioned many things, right down to the meaning of life. 

We prayed a lot and others prayed for us when we couldn't. Light began to glow from the very people we felt rejection: Malawians.


"Madam, my baby died and I know this man killed her." 
"You do? Will you do anything?"
"No, madam. That is God's plan. It is my plan to forgive. I will chat with him as my friend."


A man and woman gave Jamie a ride up the hill after work. 
"How are you, doctor?" they asked.
"Tired, and glad it's Thursday night," he replied.
"We are, too."
"But we must thank God," said the woman. "We have our business jobs, but today there were men digging holes all day. We must thank God for our good jobs."


A woman's husband stole her money and abused her. I said to her, "I'm so sorry for what you've been through!"
Her response? "It's okay, Madam. I must thank God. I have a house, healthy children, and a job."


When I told a Malawian lady the troubles we were having finishing some of our projects, the obstacles seemed to be insurmountable to us at the time. Not to her. She replied confidently, "But you will finish. It will not be long now. You will get it done." I stared at her, realizing that her life is harder than mine, and my struggles to complete a construction project insignificant.

According to the World Bank, Malawi is currently the poorest country in the world, with half the population below the national poverty line. Life expectancy at birth is age 55. To say life is difficult in Malawi paints too small a picture. Yet we see hope, faith, and courage. "It is the will of God," they say and leave it with Him. It is not hopeless; it is acceptance.

During the two years that we've been here, I have fought for respect, my rights, against things that make no sense. Fighting. Striving. Having every advantage the world has to offer but living without peace. God brought me to a land that is in vibrant contrast to all I know to show me that there is peace that truly passes understanding. That it is possible to have faith even when I don't have the answers. There is hope.

All through these gracious and gentle Malawian people. God bless them.

No comments:

Post a Comment