Thursday 25 July 2019

Reason


I’ve thought it, haven’t you? When you hear about someone with a terrible diagnosis, it’s natural to think, “Oh how sad! Unless they have a miracle, they’re dying.”

If the sick person is a friend or acquaintance, you may say something to them like, “I’m praying God’s will be done.” Or you talk to someone else about that person and say, “If it’s God’s will for them to get well….” If the person who is sick is a good friend, sometimes entirely by accident you might use an if-then statement, “If you get well, then… .” When the person is a family member, you may lay on the “if”, such as, “IF you get well, then… .”

Sometimes you think it’s your duty to make sure the person realizes they have a mortal illness.

But guess what? Most likely that person knows. They’ve had time to think about it even if they haven’t had much time. The positivity and hope you see in the person is not denial, it’s a hope born of strength beyond, and is a result of crawling through a very dark, claustrophobic tunnel and coming through the other side. Does that mean the diagnosis has changed? Not necessarily. The person has changed. 

Let’s get personal. Many people have told me that I’m strong. The strength any of you may attribute to me is not from within me naturally. I’ve spent my times in lamentation and desperation, in intense agony for my children and my husband. God gives me strength, knowing that people are praying for me gives me strength, and each of you who help carry our load and let me rest—that gives me strength.

The fact is that when I die, I no longer struggle, but my family will hurt living life without me. I’ve mourned a potential future for my family without their wife and mommy. I’ve mourned the carefree innocence my children have lost. Jamie and I have had to face the reality of our mortality at an age when most people are still focused on competing for success.  I have surrendered my life and my family to God. He does not change, His strength is given to me in my weakness, and I have confidence that He will take care of my family even if I don’t get to anymore. He IS love. Knowing that gives me strength to face the future. Even more, it helps me to not worry about the future, but to live today. Today I am alive! Today I’m so very grateful to be with my family! Today is a gift from God, and truly, that’s all you have, too.

So you see, I have to live. I can’t let my family go through that hurt. That’s not denial, that’s reason.

Romans 5:3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

3 comments:

  1. You write so beautifully! A blog of hope, both now and for the future. What a legacy you are leaving your children to ponder in the next 10-20 years! Heaven will be a grand time of reunion, no matter what happens in the here and now. Your kids WILL be there, Shallena and Jamie, because you will have left a legacy for them that will never let them go! God will honor your faith! We all love you and continue to pray for your entire family daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! To see our children in heaven! How we will thank Jesus all day forever!

      Delete
  2. I read your blog post and have been reading a book by Will Schwalbe that mentioned “The Etiquette of Illness,” another book. Loving the very first words He mentioned from it: “Think about the difference between asking ‘How are you feeling?’ And ‘Do you want me to ask how you’re feeling?’

    I’m hooked. I want to find this book and read it, because the other day, two different times, people asked me how I was feeling (in a way to offer me comfort because my husband was recently paralyzed) and I honestly felt fine in those moments and didn’t feel like delving into it all right then.

    Your post is very insightful in the way only a walker in your shoes can know. Thank you for helping to teach people. I hope to learn more from this book (even in it giving me the freedom to say, I feel fine right now).

    ReplyDelete